Fanatic Enterprises (2002)
Country of Origin:
12 scenarios, 1 page special rules
The inexhaustible imagination of Paul Kenny allowed him to publish his first independent scenario pack, Fanatic Pack #1, in 2002. It would be the first of many. The first Fanatic Pack was a crude production (there would be some improvements in later packs), without even any squares for counters (instead, OBs are designated in the 447×8 format, which is often difficult to understand).
Proofreading and editing are minimal; fonts aren’t even consistent across scenario cards. The appearance of the product looks sloppy and rushed and not what one would want for their debut effort.
Setting the tone for future Fanatic Packs, the actions in the first are varied, even including an action from the Russo-Polish War of 1920. There are an equal number of small, medium, and large actions. Their variety is an example of one of Paul Kenny’s strengths; an interest in obscure and exotic scenario situations.
- FE1 A Victory for Early Polish Armor. Poland 1920 (Soviets vs. Germans). Russo-Polish War.
- FE2 Dans La bataille, Pour la Patrie. France 1940 (French vs. Germans)
- FE3 The Border Forts. Eritrea 1940 (British vs. Italians). Desert.
- FE4 Whirling Dervishes. Libya 1941 (Free French vs. Italian). Desert.
- FE5 Beyond the Call of Duty. Yugoslavia 1941 (Yugoslav vs. Germans)
- FE6 Cavalry Charge at Mussino. Soviet Union 1941 (Soviets vs. Germans)
- FE7 Quick & Dirty. Dutch East Indies 1942 (Dutch vs. Japanese)
- FE8 Soebang Serenade. Dutch East Indies 1942 (Dutch vs. Japanese)
- FE9 Blackforce Counterattack. Dutch East Indies 1942 (Australians vs. Japanese)
- FE10 An Abandoned Army. Dutch East Indies 1942 (Dutch vs. Japanese)
- FE11 Italian Winter. Italy 1945 (Italian partisans vs. Germans/Italians)
- FE12 Once More into the Breach. Germany 1945 (Soviets vs. Germans)
Two scenarios have air support, two scenarios are Desert actions, one scenario features OBA.
As ASLers would subsequently discover, balance on Fanatic Enterprises scenarios was often iffy. That is the case here as well, but there are several scenarios in the pack worth playing, including FE10 (An Abandoned Army) and FE11 (Italian Winter).