Sherry Enterprises/Schwerpunkt (2003)
Country of Origin:
24-page magazine, 12 scenarios on cardstock inserts
Schwerpunkt Volume 9 (SP9), released at ASLOK in 2003, was the ninth iteration of the venerable series of Schwerpunkt magazines. It looked much like its predecessors.
Taking a break from the series of historical articles by Brook White, SP9 contains a lengthy gameplay article by Mark Pitcavage on defensive first fire and fire discipline principles in ASL. It also introduces an “Armor Leader Campaign” by Evan Sherry, a flashback to the infantry leader/armor leader campaigns of the original Squad Leader and Cross of Iron. As usual, it has a great many designers’ and players’ notes for the scenarios included herein.
The 12 scenarios are a mix of actions, including:
- France 1940 (British vs. Germans)
- Soviet Union 1941 (Soviets vs. Germans), 1943 (Soviets vs. Germans)
- United States 1943 (Americans vs. Japanese)
- France 1944 (Americans vs. Germans)
- Netherlands 1944 (Americans vs. Germans, Americans/British vs. Germans)
- Germany 1944 (Americans vs. Germans), 1945 (Soviets vs. Germans , Americans vs. Germans, British vs. Germans)
Once more, Schwerpunkt heavily concentrates its scenarios on late war actions, with 8 of the 12 scenarios taking place in 1944-45.
SP9 contains a classic scenario, SP103 (For Whom the Bells Toll), as well as several other fun scenarios worth trying, including SP97 (Twilight of the Reich), SP98 (Pesky Pachyderms), SP99 (The Feineisen Factor), and SP108 (Searing Soltau). Overall, it is one of the better Schwerpunkt packs.